Split Moong dal or dhuli moong dal – 100 gms
Pumpkin - 150 gms
Carrot – 1
Beans - 10
Ginger - 1tsp (grated)
Green chilli – 2
Dry red chilli – 2
Panchphoran - ½ tsp (mix of whole cumin, fenugreek, mustard seeds, nigella seeds & fennel seeds)
Dry bay leaf – 2
Salt – as per taste
Sugar – 1 tsp
Ghee or clarified butter – 1tsp (optional)
1. Dry roast the split moong dal in a kadhai till they start turning golden. Add adequate water, salt and let it boil.
2. In the meantime cut all the vegetables into small cubes.
3. When the dal is done halfway, add the pumpkin and carrot cubes. Add the beans at a later stage so that it does not lose its colour and crunch.
4. Add half of the grated ginger to the dal at this stage. You can add little water if required. Add sugar. The consistency should not be very thick and also not very runny. It should be somewhere in the middle.
5. Once all the vegetables and dal is cooked take it off heat.
6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a separate pan to add the tempering. Add panchphoran, red chilli, bay leaf and the remaining ginger one by one. Now add the dal with vegetables to this and bring it to a boil. You can add the slit green chillies at this point.
7. Heat ghee and add to the cooked dal. You can omit the ghee if you want to.
Hopefully you will relish this dish!