Potatoes – 250 gms
Black chana or brown chick peas – ½ cup
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Red chilli powder- ½ tsp or as per taste
Onion – 1(chopped finely)
Garlic- 1 tsp (chopped finely)
Ginger -1 tsp (chopped finely)
Green chillies – 2 to 3 slit in between
Star anise – 1 flower
Whole cumin – a pinch for tempering
Salt – as per taste
Sugar – a pinch
Oil- 2 to 3 tbsp
Ghee – ½ tsp (optional)
Coriander – for garnishing
1. Soak the chickpeas in water for a minimum of 5 to 6 hrs. Boil them separately till they are cooked.
2. Parboil the potatoes so that they are cooked through but not mushy.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the whole cumin and let it turn aromatic and slightly golden.
4. To this add garlic and ginger. Once the garlic starts turning golden add the chopped onions. Sauté for a minute or two.
5. Add the parboiled potatoes and boiled chickpeas to the onion and garlic, ginger mixture in the kadhai. Keep on stirring for a few minutes.
6. Now add all the dry masala i.e. turmeric powder, chilli powder and cumin powder.
7. Add salt and sugar and mix well. Add the star anise and green chillies at this point.
8. Add a cup of water and cover and let it simmer on low flame for a 4 to 5 minutes or till you come to a thick gravy consistency. You can add more water if you want more gravy.
9. Add ghee in the gravy now and garnish with coriander before serving.