Kali Masoor dal or masoor dal with chilka – 100 gms
Basmati Rice - 250 gms
Potatoes – 2 medium ( boiled and cut into cubes)
Eggs – 3 ( boiled)
Onion – 1 ( chopped finely)
Tomato – 1 ( chopped finely)
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Ginger paste – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Green chillies – 2 to 3 (slit in the middle)
Salt – as per taste.
Oil – 3 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp ( optional)
Fried onions – for garnish (optional)
Whole cumin – ½ tsp
Cloves – 2 to 3 pods
Star Anise – 1 flower
Cassia bark/Dalchini – 1
Bay leaf/Tejpatta – 1
1. Wash and soak the dal for a minimum of half an hour.
2. Boil the rice separately and let it cool down. You can use leftover rice also.
3. Boil the eggs, peel them and cut them lengthwise into 4 pcs.
4. Now heat oil in a kadhai. Add the whole spices and sauté on medium heat till they turn aromatic.
5. Add onion and tomatoes to the whole spices. Sauté till the onions are translucent and tomatoes have become a little soft.
6. Add ginger and garlic paste.
7. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder to the onion and tomato mixture and keep stirring on medium heat.
8. Now add the soaked dal and cook till it becomes soft but still has a bite to it. Add salt as per taste. Add water as required.
9. Add the potatoes at this point along with the green chillies.
10. Cover it for a minute or two.
11. Now add the rice and mix it very carefully with the dal. Put the heat on low.
12. Add the boiled egg slices and top it with ghee. Adjust the salt in the dish. Add more if needed.
13. Garnish with fried onions and its ready to eat.