Potatoes – 3 (medium sized)
Green chilli – 2 chopped finely (optional)
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Chilli powder – ½ tsp or as per taste
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Salt – as per taste
Whole cumin – ½ tsp
Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – for garnishing
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into big cubes. Parboil the potatoes. Be careful not to make them mushy.
2. Heat mustard oil in a pan. Please note that the unique flavour of the potatoes owe a lot to the mustard oil used in this dish. So, if you use any other oil you may not get the same flavour.
3. Once the mustard oil is hot add whole cumin to it. Now add the parboiled potatoes to the oil. Sauté on medium heat.
4. Add all the dry masalas one after another to the potatoes and ensure that the potatoes are covered with the masala. Just sprinkle a few drops of water it will help the masala not to burn and coat the potatoes.
5. Add salt and the chopped chillies. Sauté for another minute.
6. Garnish with a lot of coriander leaves.
Serve it hot with poori or lachha paratha.