For the Dough
Flour – 3 cups or 180 gms
Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt – as per taste
Sugar – a pinch
Baking powder – 1& ½ tbsp
Pizza/Pasta seasoning- a pinch
Cold water – as much as required to knead soft dough.
For the filling
Green Capsicum – 1 medium sized (chopped into small pieces)
Red capsicum – ½ medium sized (chopped into small pieces)
Yellow capsicum - ½ medium sized (chopped into small pieces)
Corn kernel – ½ cup (boiled)
Onion – 1 (chopped finely)
Tomato paste – 3 tbsp
Paprika paste – 1 tbsp (optional)
Pizza/Pasta seasoning -2 tbsp
Grated Cheese – 1 cup (I used a blend of mozzarella and cheddar)
Salt – as per taste
Oil – for frying
1. Let’s start with the dough. Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and pizza seasoning together. Add the oil to this flour mixture and mix so that you get sand like texture. Now add requisite amount of water and knead it into soft dough. Keep the dough covered with a moist towel and let it rest.
2. For the filling it is very simple. Heat oil in a pan and just add all the vegetables and sauté for a few minutes. Season the vegetables with salt.
3. Add the tomato paste and the paprika paste and the pizza seasoning and sauté for another few minutes.
4. Take it off heat and set it aside.
5. Roll out the dough in a circular shape. Cut the dough into rectangular strips of 11inch x 6 inch. You should get a minimum of 14 strips.
6. Place one single strip on your kitchen tale and top it with the filling. Put shredded cheese on top of the filling. Now place another strip of dough on top of the filling.
7. Wet your fingers with little water and run the edges of both the strips and press them together on top of each other with the filling secured in between the two strips.
8. With the back of a fork press on all the sides of the strips to make impressions. Continue with the same process till you have used all the strips.
9. The puffs are ready to be fried or air fried or baked in the oven, the choice is yours.
10. If you are frying the puffs, like I did please keep the flame on medium so that you get that lovely golden colour and the dough is cooked through.
Serve them hot.