Basmati rice - 400 gms
Sprouted Matki dal – 100 gms
Onion – 2
Tomato – 1
Garlic - 5 to 6 pods
Ginger - 1 tsp (grated)
Dry red chillies – 2 to 3
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp or as per taste
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Biryani essence – 2 to 3 drops
Salt – as per taste
Sugar – a pinch
Oil – as required
Ghee – 1 tsp (optional)
First parboil the sprouted matki or moth beans for sometime so that they tenderize a little bit.
2. Take one onion, thinly slice it and fry till they are golden brown. We will use them later.
3. Boil the rice and let it cool down a bit.
4. Now for the masala, chop the onion, tomato and garlic. Heat oil in a pan and add little oil.
5. Now add cumin seeds, dry red chillies, chopped onion, tomato, garlic and ginger and sauté till they are lightly toasted.
6. Now grind the above to a fine paste.
7. Heat around 2 to 3 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add the masala paste to oil. Sauté for a minute or two and now add the matki.
8. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and sugar and stir fry till the sprouted matki is all covered with the masala. Now add the boiled rice and mix it well with the matki masala.
9. Add the fried onions at this stage. Sprinkle the garam masala on top and ensure it is mixed well with the rice.
10. Add the biryani essence, mix and cover and keep for 2 mins on low fire. Take it off heat and add the ghee to the pulao.
Matki pulao is ready!!