Rohu 400 gms or 5 pcs approximately
Yellow mustard seeds - 4 tsps
Poppy seeds 2tsp
Green chillies 2 to3 or as per taste
Red chilli powder ½ tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Garlic 2 to 3 pods
Salt as per taste
Sugar ½ tsp
Banana leaves 3 to 4
Mustard oil 3 to 4 tbsps
1. Clean and dry the pieces of fish.
2. Grind the mustard, poppy seeds, garlic pods and green chillies to a fine paste.
3. In a bowl mix the mustard/poppy seed paste with salt, sugar, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and 3 tbsps of oil together. Marinate the fish in this paste for a few minutes.
4. Clean and dry the banana leaves. Cut them in squares (6X10 inches).
5. Place one piece of fish in every banana leaf square and ensure that you scoop out some of the mustard paste and slither it all over the fish.
6. Now fold the banana leaf from all four sides. Try to overlap all the sides so that the mustard paste does not seep out. Tie it up tightly with a thread.
7. Heat a pan and add the remaining oil. Now place all the parcels nicely on the pan so that they all get evenly heated.
8. Turn them in frequent intervals on both sides. Splash a few drops of water on the pan from time to time for steam to rise. Cover the pan. It should take about 20 -25 minutes for the fish to be cooked. Keep the gas on low flame at all times.
9. Serve it hot with steamed rice.