Chicken – 500 gms (cut into medium pieces)
Potatoes – 2 (cut into cubes)
Onion – 2 (thinly sliced)
Tomatoes- 1 (thinly sliced)
Garlic – 5 to 6 pods
Ginger – 1 tsp (grated)
Dry Red chilli – 2 to 3
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp or as per taste
Meat masala powder – 1 tsp
Star anise – 2
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Poppy seed or khaskhas – 1 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
Cardamom pods – 2 to 3
Coriander leaves – a handful for garnish
1. Clean and dry the chicken pieces with a clean kitchen towel. Keep it aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai and fry the potato cubes with little turmeric powder till the sides are golden brown. Keep them aside. We are going to add them later.
3. In the same oil add cumin seeds, poppy seeds, sliced onions, tomatoes, garlic pods, ginger, dry red chillies and grated coconut and sauté till it turns golden brown.
4. Let the masala mix cool down and then blitz it in the grinder to a smooth paste.
5. Now heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the chicken. Season with a little salt and let the chicken caramelise a little bit.
6. Now add the masala mix in the chicken and sauté for 5 to 6 mins till the chicken is well coated with the masala.
7. Now add the remaining powder masala i.e. turmeric powder, red chilli powder and the meat masala powder. Add salt as per taste.
8. At this stage add the fried potatoes to the chicken.
9. Add sufficient amount of water and add the star anise and bruised cardamom. Cover and let it simmer for 10 to 15 mins or till the chicken is tender.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.